Re: Hiding empty staves

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Hiding empty staves
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:15:01 +0100

Isn't the simple answer to your problems that you read the wrong
version of the manual? As far as I can see, you use version 2.6
and if I read the manual correctly for that version, you should use
\override Score.RemoveEmptyVerticalGroup #'remove-first = ##t

If you want to keep this setting in the \layout section, do
 \layout {
   \context {
\RemoveEmptyStaffContext \override RemoveEmptyVerticalGroup #'remove-first = ##t

Your example works without any problems in version 2.10.

   /Mats

Quoting Bob Kline <address@hidden>:

Erik Sandberg wrote:

The problem above, is that { } have different meanings in different places:
Usually { } means sequential music, but the { } after \score are special: it
starts with a _single_ music expression, followed by optional \layout (etc)
blocks. So you must make \override part of the music expression, like:

\score {
  <<
     \override Score.VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t
     \context ChoirStaff <<
         \context Staff = women << .... >>
         \new Lyrics ....
         \context Staff = men << .... >>

 \layout{...}
}

I apologize for being so slow to grok what's going on here, and I
appreciate the responses posted so far on this issue, but I still don't
get it.  I have tried doing *exactly* what you're telling me to do here
(except for putting back in the missing ">>" to balance the delimiters
of the \context ChoirStaff chunk), and I'm still getting the blank staff
in the first system.  I've read the FAQ (multiple times).  I've tried
reading the manual top to bottom to try and get a comprehensive picture
of the lexical grammar at work here, but my brain is glazing over.  If
there's a place I should have been reading but missed (or nodded off
when I was trying to read it), I promise I won't be offended if someone
posts something which tells me how lame my efforts were at not finding
the obvious guide which explains how this works, as long as the poster
tells me where that guide is.

I have boiled down the problem to a minimal repro case, and I'm
attaching three tiny files which illustrate my attempt to do what Erik's
telling me to do here: the .ly source, the resulting .pdf, and a cropped
image of the relevant portion of the output.

Thanks for any guidance you have to offer!

--
Bob Kline
http://www.rksystems.com