Re: Harp fingering and lever

From: Walter Hofmeister
Subject: Re: Harp fingering and lever
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 23:29:27 -0600

On 11/20/06 2:32 PM, "Helge Kruse" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Walter,
>
> thanks for reply. When I first seen the Analysis Bracket I didnt realized
> its strength. But I need to tweek some properties (direction,
> bracket-flare). I am a lilypond beginner and dont know, where I have to \set
> them. Can you give me short example?
>
> I will have a further look at the lever. But if you have an excerpt at hand,
> it would be very helpful.
>

> Regards,
> Helge

Here is a short example that I did. When I went back to look at the piece
that I did for my wife, I realized that I had a couple of problems. The
first is that in lever harp music, sometimes the brackets must overlap. I
had trouble to do this. The other problem is that in many printed editions,
the brackets are frequently angled to follow the pitch-contour. The version
that I used at the time was 2.8.1. This version did not contain the rotation
property so I have not used it here. It would be interesting to know though
if it could be made to work for this.
    My solution at the time was to import a .eps file into Adobe Illustrator
and do the final adjustments there. Hope some of this is useful to you.

Walter Hofmeister

Begin example************************************************************

\version "2.10"
\include "english.ly"
#(set-default-paper-size "letter")

upper = \relative c' {
    \clef treble
    \key d \major
    \time 3/4

    \set Voice.fingeringOrientations = #'(down)
    \override Staff.HorizontalBracket #'bracket-flare = #'(0 . 0)
    \override Staff.HorizontalBracket #'padding = #1.5

    <fs-2>4\stopGroup <fs-2> <a-1>\startGroup
    <fs-2>8 <e-3> <e-3>4\stopGroup <fs-1>8\startGroup <d-3>\stopGroup
    <e-2>4 <e-2> <fs-1>8\startGroup <d-3>\stopGroup
    <e-2>4 <e-2> <a-1>
    }

lower = \relative c {
    \clef bass
    \key d \major
    \time 3/4

    <d a'>2.
    <g b>
    <a cs>
    <a, a'>
    }

\score {
        \new PianoStaff <<
           \set PianoStaff.instrument = "Harp  "
           \new Staff = "upper" \upper
           \new Staff = "lower" \lower

\layout {
         \context {
           \Staff \consists "Horizontal_bracket_engraver"

        \midi { \tempo 4=60 }
     }