Re: Manual engraving video

From: Arvid Grøtting
Subject: Re: Manual engraving video
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:20:16 +0000 (UTC)

Cesar Penagos <penagos.cesar <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Lilyponders!
> I wan to  advice  you that is an excellent video of the art of manual
> engraving in You Toube; you have to take a look of this excellent work.
> You can see it, at:
>   http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q8adEIMzbso

Way cool!

The computer software example actually seems to have an input format resembling
that of LilyPond, by the way.

Instructive video, but I must say I was a bit disappointed when the plate wasn't
used directly to print the score.

The eight-hour-per-page figure is more than I use with LilyPond, but not by
much; I find I spend quite some time correcting and fine-tuning the output.
(Admittedly, some of this may be outside of the eight-hour figure.  Also, I
don't do this for a living.)

The video's dated 1997.  Does anyone know if a) someone still does this,  b)
lead plates are still used and c) if not, what's in use today?  ;-)

Arvid

who'd love to try hand-engraving one day, with a good instructor :)