Re: which language for programming

From: Nick Bailey
Subject: Re: which language for programming
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 15:22:41 +0000

On 22 Nov 2006, at 2:06 pm, Ed Ardzinski wrote:

If Lilypond is written in C++ (and I do see some hints of C type syntax when I use Lilypond) this *might* be a factor to consider. But... C and C++ are fairly complex languages and have steep learning curves. If you an abject beginner with programming I suggest starting out with Visual Basic and concentrating on trying to develop good programming practices. That will make a switch to a more difficult language easier.

Good luck!

Wise words, but I'd forget VB or Applescript. Why? Python, for example, runs on both these platforms and more, introduces the concepts of an object-oriented language, and its portability means you won't need to learn another language if you want to make a useful (cross-platform) piece of code.

Our computing department now use Python as an introductory language to teach their new students good programming practice, and because it's so widely used and so generally applicable, it'll still be useful to them when they graduate.

Of course other good languages also exist (ruby was mentioned) but in general one learns a language in order to communicate with others, so Visual Basic and Applescript need not apply (unless you don't want to talk to many other people!).

Nick/.