Re: Music for the Martians?

From: Daniel Tonda
Subject: Re: Music for the Martians?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 22:42:51 -0600

For pedagogical purposes, ¿wouldn't it be better if the timing was shown in a different font than the font used for fingerings?

Such as:

%%
\version "2.10.0"
\score {
  \context Staff = guitar {
    \key c \major \time 6/8
    \relative c'' {
      <<
    {
      e8 e e f f f
    } \\
    {
      s8_\markup{\italic{1}}
      s8_\markup{\italic{2}}
      s8_\markup{\italic{3}}
      s8_\markup{\italic{4}}
      s8_\markup{\italic{5}}
      s8_\markup{\italic{6}}

%%

2006/11/22, Graham Percival < address@hidden>:
address@hidden wrote:
> /Users/arjanbos/Music/Gitaarles/Boek-2/MusicForTheMartians.ly:12:28:
> Music for the martians
>       e8_1 e_2 e_3 f_4 f_5 f
>                             _6 |
>
> What is music for the martians?

I think this is referring to people with 6-fingers.  Typing e8_1 means
"first finger"; typing e8_"1" prints "1" as a TextScript.

> But what are martians and why are they playing my music? Shouldn't this
> message simply state that a 6 is a strange number to indicate a finger
> with?

Yes, but somebody was feeling creative when they wrote that code.  :)
What message do you propose to change it with?

Cheers,
- Graham