Re: some questions

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: some questions
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 06:31:54 +1100

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 10:26:02AM -0800, James Bailey wrote:

>    Hello everyone
>
>    I'm actually doing rather well with lilypond, with a few minor
>    exceptions. One is that my staff names don't show up and I get the odd
>    warning from lilypond:
>
>    warning: can't find property type-check for `instrument'
>    (translation-type?).  perhaps a typing error?
>
>    warning: doing assignment anyway
>
>    My lilypond file consists of:
>
>    {
>
>    \set Staff.instrument = "Bass"
>
>    \set Staff.instr = "B"
>
>    c d e f
>
>    }
>
>    \version "2.10.0"

Have a look in section 8.2.5 of the 2.10 manual. The names have changed
slightly:

    \set Staff.instrumentName = "Bass"

    \set Staff.shortInstrumentName = "B"

>    I'm using macintosh version 2.10.0. Any thoughts?" And I thought that
>    I could make staff instruments anything I wanted to.
>
>    Also, I'm trying to raise a metronome mark above a dynamic once.
>
>    {
>
>      \context
>
>      {
>
>       \Score
>
>       \override MetronomeMark #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 3)
>
>      }
>
>    }
>
>    works, but it raises the metronome mark every time and adding
>    \once doesn't work. I'm sure I'm just not understanding the manual
>    well.

Anything in the layout block will apply to the whole piece. If you want to use
the directive once, put it immediately before the metronome mark in the music
(untested):

[music]
a b \once \override MetronomeMark #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 3) \tempo 4=120 c d
[more music]

Hope this helps!

Cameron Horsburgh