Re: your mail

From: libros
Subject: Re: your mail
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 00:20:52 +0100

Am 26/11/2006 um 22:32 schrieb Cameron Horsburgh:

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 09:28:38PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
Good morning!

Today I downloaded LilyPond, gave it a first try, and liked it a lot.
So I will see if I can get to learn the how-to. I have started with
my string quartet ( I still prefer to write with my own hands, but it
is a nice way to practise)

Lilypond is a great typesetting tool, but it's awkward for
composition. Personally, I find the best way to compose is the old
fashioned way --- sitting down with your instrument, pencil and paper,
and not getting Lily involved until you're finished.

Oh, but of course! My B6 pencil is one of the better music teachers I've had. Even though my eraser seems to be one of my better acquaintances...

Of course, I find an enormous quantity of things that somehow don't
work as they should just yet, but I have started reading that pdf
user manual. I will post, if it is all right in this place, some
questions as they arise and I don't find the answer in the documents.

Sounds good! If you can't find something in the documentation that you
think should be there, let us know. If it's missing, or not in an
obvious place that's a bug that needs to be fixed. Even better, if you
can suggest what needs to be written and where it should be put we
would be most appreciative!

Fine. I will do so. Of course, in my experience, more often than not the little problem lies in not seeing the obvious, but aren't we all used to it?

But something aesthetic comes to mind: do people refer to LilyPond as
"Lily"? That gives the work a nice female name. But maybe one should
not first-name her before getting well acquainted.

Here in Australia the use of first names is normal, and it's only in
specific situations that you you would use 'Mr' or 'Miss'. It's quite
normal to call your doctor or lawyer or priest or Member of Parliament
by their first names. It's not rude --- it is a way of suggesting to
people that even if we are not well acquainted we consider each other
as equals and worthy of each others attention. Formal ways of
addressing one another outside of accepted contexts can actually be a
subtle form of rudeness.

That's interesting, and quite nice. Good for you, Australlians!

So over here, at least, Lily is 'Lily', sometimes 'LilyPond' but never
'Miss Pond'. Some people think she's a little stand-offish at first,
but she really does want to be your friend!

(When Lilypond was being used by British Intelligence she was referred
to as 'Pond. Lily Pond.' I never did understand the British.)

And that is a good one! (But my B6 is really just a pencil. I think.)

Manuel