Re: Numbering exercises; overriding defaults; points for clefs.

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Numbering exercises; overriding defaults; points for clefs.
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:40:43 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
Good morning.

Numbering:

I am reading through the user pdf and writing a didactical work made of ca. 300 8-bar pieces in one stave. I want to put a serial number to each one, at its beginning, left from the clef. How should I do this?

Of course, I would prefer not to have to enter the serial number each time, if this is possible.
A long as you don't want any title over each example, the simplest solution I
can think of is to typeset all the examples as a single piece and use the
rehearsal mark feature for the numbering, see the example below.
Otherwise you could typeset each example as a separate score and use
typeset the number as an instrument name. However, then you would need
to write a few lines of Scheme code yourself to do the numbering if you don't
want to enter it by hand.
Overriding defaults:

I want all 4/4 and 2/2 time signatures written with the numbers, not with C;

all pages to contain 10 Staves (= 5 exercises of 4 measures each); and

disable the measure numbering.

Looking in the pdf, I found the way to override the C for one excercise, and how to break the page once. How do I do this for the whole document? I also found a command to override the measure numbering, but don't understand where am I to put it.
Look in the section called "Changing context default settings" in the manual
(you probably have to read that full chapter to get a better view of what's going
on). The following examples illustrates what you can do:

\version "2.10.0"

\layout{
 indent = 0
 \context{
   \Score
   \remove Bar_number_engraver
   markFormatter = #format-mark-numbers
   \override RehearsalMark #'break-align-symbol = #'left-edge
   \override RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #RIGHT
   \override TimeSignature #'style = #'()

\score{
 \relative c'{
   \mark \default
   c1 d e f f e d c \break
   \mark \default
   c1 d e fis fis e d c \break

Also, I notice that only the F-clef has its two points; but I say that every clef should have them, like the Soprano and French Soprano clefs do in the big Bachausgabe. How do I put this necessary points to my clefs?
Are you saying that also C clefs should have the two dots. I cannot recall having seen such a layout in printed music. Also, I tried to Google for "C clef" and could only find examples that had the same basic layout as the current clef symbols in LilyPond. It would of course be possible to add alternative layout versions of
the clefs, but then we should add a new symbol to the font. Could you please
send a small scanned example (to the mailing list) of the clef layout you have in mind.

  /Mats