Re: Numbering exercises; overriding defaults; points for clefs.

From: Manuel
Subject: Re: Numbering exercises; overriding defaults; points for clefs.
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:48:28 +0100

Am 28/11/2006 um 22:42 schrieb Nick Bailey:

My understanding was that the f dots are the vestiges of the two lines in the letter "F"... is that not the case? Hence the C clef and G clef wouldn't have them (being stylised "C"s and "G"s respectively).

I've no authoritative source for this though.

Nick/.

I'm not sure, but you are probably right, I have seen G and F clefs with dots, but not C clefs and I recall only one instance of G clefs. Yet I use the dots because they make good logical sense and facilitate precise handwriting. I'll have a look in the MGG and inquire where is the next available old "new" Bach Ausgabe. I would think that the use of the dots for the "french" clef may have had the purpose of giving clarity to the graphics.

Manuel