Re: Music for the Martians?

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Music for the Martians?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:41:10 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Arjan Bos <address@hidden> writes
When trying to be helpful and create a patch, I noticed that the development switched from CVS to GIT. Why? Now I have to find out what git is, how it works and how to get it. First try Fink as that's the semi-default package manager on Darwin. It cannot connect to cvs to update itself. The error message tells me to try again later. Mmph, only later it still doesn't work. Turns out I have to run an update script that is almost guaranteed not to work and which should be babysitted for several hours. Hate.

Maybe because GIT is a lot less work for main developers?

With CVS, HanWen has to keep a "master tree", and every time he updates, everyone else has to throw away their development tree, take a copy of his master, and merge all their changes back in.

With GIT, when that happens, the other developers simply say "merge all HanWen's changes into my tree" - there is NO master tree.

Makes life so much easier as the number of developers starts rising.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden