Re: which language for programming

From: fiëé visuëlle
Subject: Re: which language for programming
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:23:23 +0100

Am 2006-11-28 um 08:56 schrieb Jean-marc LEGRAND:

Statistically, I'll try Python and Scheme : these are the two most pointed out in your numerous replies ! And I have noticed that it is a good way to acquire programming good habits. So Santa
Claus will have to find a good book on that !

Another vote for Python.
I also used (or am still using) Perl, PHP, PostScript, TeX, Slang, AppleScript, Shell, ASP/VB.NET, Basic, Pascal, but couldn't wrap my mind around Scheme yet and don't think I need to learn C or Java ;-)

I'd recommend O'Reilly books (nearly all of them). But maybe they're not that good for beginners.
- http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lpython2/

Some interesting links:
- Learning to program: http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/
- Python Tutorial: http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html
- Dive Into Python: http://diveintopython.org/toc/index.html
- RUR-PLE (very unusal approach...) http://rur-ple.sourceforge.net/
- How to think like a computer scientist: http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/ thinkCSpy/

Some more Python hints:
- a nice Python editor/IDE is SPE (pythonide.stani.be); you can also use Eclipse with PyDev - if you think of creating GUIs, forget Tkinter, but head over to wxPython (wxpython.org) and dabo (dabodev.com) - if you need extensive networking or client/server stuff, take a deep breath and use twisted (twistedmatrix.com)
- MIDI: http://www.mxm.dk/products/public/pythonmidi
- MusicXML: http://dkc.jhu.edu/~mdboom/pyScore/

Greetlings from Lake Constance
---