Re: convert-ly, musicxml2ly, etc. problems

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: convert-ly, musicxml2ly, etc. problems
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:16:17 -0800 (PST)

Bonnie Rogers wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> Actually the file is convert-ly.py - it's a python script.
>
> I use abc2ly, another python script.  Try just "cd C:\Program
>  > Files\LilyPond" or cd into whatever folder the music file is in and
> try the command there.  After some initial struggles, I found that both
> work with abc2ly.  You shouldn't have to type "python" or do anything
> else fancy.  I had trouble at first because I was trying too hard.
>
> I don't have 2.10 yet, and I don't have any old Lilypond files that
> really need converting, but I tried with a couple of random .ly files
> and at least didn't get any error messages.  Here are screen prints from
> my command window:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>cd C:\Documents and
> Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\LilyPond
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\LilyPond>convert-ly
> hodie.ly
> convert-ly.py (GNU LilyPond) 2.8.5
> Processing `hodie.ly'...
> Applying conversion:
>
> Note I keep Lilypond on my desktop so I can mouse a file into it to work
> on.  Of course I have to move the resulting files to another folder
> afterward.  It turns out to work just as well from the music folder:
> cd C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\musicfiles\gibbons
>
> C:\Documents and
> Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\musicfiles\gibbons>convert-ly
>   cantus.ly
> convert-ly.py (GNU LilyPond) 2.8.5
> Processing `cantus.ly'...
> Applying conversion:
>
> Good luck!
> Bonnie
>

> Rick Hansen (aka RickH) wrote:
>> Ok...
>>
>> I must be missing something very simple, but I've been beating a dead
>> horse
>> for the past few weeks trying to get convert-ly and other utilities to
>> run
>> on Windows XP.
>>
>>>From te command prompt I change directory to "C:\Program
>> Files\LilyPond\usr\bin" which is where lilyponfd is installed, but when I
>> enter convert-ly on the command line Windows says it is not recognized as
>> command.  Probably because there is no file extension on the file named
>> convert-ly?
>>
>> Shouldn't this program be named convert-ly.exe?  So that it will run when
>> you tell it to run like any other program.  I must be missing something
>> very
>> simple as I am using the instructions in section 13.3 of the manual, so I
>> thought it's time to just ask someone how to do it.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Rick

Thanks,

I just did a search of my Lilypond installation folder and convert-ly does
not have a ".py" extension on it for me, in fact many of the files have no
extension on their names.  The file name is just "convert-ly", so Windows
does not know what program to associate with the file.  Also if I execute
"python convert-ly" I get an import os not found python error (see my other
post).  I think the Windows installation changed since version 2.8.5 where
the python utilities no longer have ".py" extensions, because I do remember
running convert-ly earlier in the year when I first started to get into
lilypond (v2.8) and it appeared to work but I didn't need it then.  Now I
just want to know how it works in case I need it, but I do need musicxml2ly
now to convert some Finale files and that program also does not have a ".py"
extension or any extension.

Also abc2ly is not in my /bin at all.

I hope there is another Windows user out there on 2.11 who can figure out
how to run these utilities, it has to be something simple.  I'm doing
exactly what you describe and what the manual says, but no luck.

Rick