Combining parts

From: Peter Budny
Subject: Combining parts
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 18:24:32 +0000 (UTC)

I'm typesetting a piece of music which has 9 parts (labeled 1 through 9). During
some parts of the music, several of the parts have the same music, and so the
original score will reduce the number of staves and label them, e.g. "1,2" or
"7,8,9".

I'm not sure what the best way to do this in LilyPond would be. Any thoughts?
I'm trying to avoid the obvious but stupid solution of creating additional
staves labeled "7,8,9"...