Re: Tutorial

From: Manuel
Subject: Re: Tutorial
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 14:22:37 +0100

Am 03/12/2006 um 00:04 schrieb Graham Percival:

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
Right! This first example of the tutorial is somewhat idealized to hide unnecessary complications. I hope you haven't got stuck there but rather
kept reading and experimenting with the program.
Graham, maybe we should modify this first example so the user output is
exactly the same as the version printed in the tutorial.

I'm not opposed to this; I've gone back and forth on the issue myself. To be honest, biggest reason that I haven't changed it already is that
{c d e f g...}
are in the bass clef range, so we either introduce \clef bass at the very beginning, or have huge ledger lines in the treble clef.

You can leave the excersice as it is, only tell the student what he is going to see as a result and, in the next step, explain how to change the different values, like the time signature, octave, clef, etc. In this way, one can fiddle with the music and learn.

I've added this to my list of easy jobs for people interested in helping. (I'll probably post it tomorrow)

Cheers,
- Graham

For me as an "absolute beginner" the tutorials - the pdf as well as the htlm and even the new french one - are sometimes useful and sometimes not. My main difficulty arises from not knowig where to write a prescribed instruction. Something is being taken for granted which I should be able to learn before going so far.

I gather that I should start a document writing the version number; I suppose that I should then keep going from the general to the particular but, since many things are preset defaults, I would only need to specify those things as are different.

Manuel