Re: proportional notation screws up score

From: Orm Finnendahl
Subject: Re: proportional notation screws up score
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 22:54:38 +0100

Hi Trevor,

thanks for the reply. When the piece is done it can be used for
documentation.

True proportional notation isn't exactly what I need and is far from
desirable as the accidentals would always collide with barlines etc.

I made much better experiences with shifting or removing extra spaces
at the right spots to make it look as if it is spaced proportionally.

Maybe there is a way to describe to Han-Wen what is needed, once I
found out, how to achieve the right results using lilypond. Right now
it is a very tedious and time-consuming task to redefine the spacing
for nearly every measure and then waiting for the engine to render it
and optimize the result. There should be some notion of a global
timing which can be related to lilyponds typesetting engine meaning
that if some note constructs take up extra space, the next or previous
notes should be adjusted to compensate for the loss, ideally the error
should get stretched out over a couple of notes to make it look nicer.

--
Orm