Re: uniform-stretching

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: uniform-stretching
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 13:50:59 -0600

On 12/4/06, Orm Finnendahl <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I tried the uniform-stretching property but couldn't get it to work as
expected. If I understand this property correctly, it should stretch
out bars according to their time-signature regardless of skips or
rests within.

This fails (e.g. the first measure should be much wider than the
second, the last and the one before the last measure should have the
same width ...):

\version "2.11.0"

\score {
    \new Staff {
        \relative {
            \override Score.SpacingSpanner #'uniform-stretching = ##t
            \set Score.proportionalNotationDuration = #(ly:make-moment 8 50)
            \time 4/4 r1
            \time 3/8 r4.
            \time 5/4 r1 r4
            \time 5/16 r4 r16
            \time 5/8 s2 s8
            \time 5/8 r2 r8
    \layout {
        ragged-right = ##t

Can someone help? Trevor?

Hi Orm,

OK, I'm spinning out some combinations of different settings, and
getting closer.

We definitely need uniform-stretching = ##t (as you have here in your example).

I think we also need \remove Separating_line_group_engraver, as
Han-Wen mentioned in a mail yesterday. (Separating_line_group_engraver
lives in the Staff context, BTW; make sure to place the \remove there
or else Lily will silently pass over your incorrect engraver removal,
never letting you know that you've failed to remove what you thought
you were removing.)

So I've put together four score pairs; each pair comprises first notes
and then rests.

The first pair has no tweaks and shows that notes and rests of like
duration space differently by default.

The second pair removes Separating_line_group_engraver from the Staff context.

The third pair sets uniform-stretching = ##t.

The fourth pair performs both tweaks.

These examples provide a couple of useful conclusions but don't yet
solve the problem. The conclusions are:

1. Notes and rests of like duration space differently by default (as
mentioned above)

2. uniform-stretching = ##t spaces notes and rests of like duration
identically (which is what we want)

3. removing Separating_line_group_engraver by itself is not enough to
cause even spacing; but I'm including the examples with removing
Separating_line_group_engraver because other testfiles seem to show
that the removal is necessary to get true proportional spacing

More tests coming later today ...

--
Trevor Bača