Re: uniform-stretching

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: uniform-stretching
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 16:13:31 +0100

Trevor Bača escreveu:
> (As an observational aside, there seems to be a special class of
> wildly difficult off-by-one difficulties in music notation. Take the
> example of needing to \override PaperColumn #'used = ##t which we
> discovered yesterday incrementally getting your example to work. On
> the face of it, it seems utterly bizarre that some "abstract grob"
> setting like PaperColumn should be necessary to make measure-initial
> skips obey proportional spacing. But when I was thinking about
> Han-Wen's explanation of uniform-stretching it all suddenly made
> sense: uniform-stretching makes distances *AFTER* musical events
> uniform; and what happens at the beginning of a measure? No musical
> event, so nothing to make uniform. Makes sense, but wow.

Yes, this makes sense, but it's actually not a completely correct
explanation.  Normally, space between 2 columns (two left-edges of
notes/rests) is thought to be composed of

  (FIXED + STRETCHABLE)

space, where FIXED is the size of the symbol, and STRETCHABLE
determines how things scale up for shorter or longer lines.

  uniform-stretching

sets FIXED to 0.0, and refrains from optical tweaks to STRETCHABLE

un#'used columns are normally thrown out of the spacing problem,
because they distort things.  In this case, they should stay.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com