Re: Globally removing string number engraver

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Globally removing string number engraver
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 12:20:32 -0800 (PST)

Mats Bengtsson-4 wrote:

> If you follow the link to "StringNumber" at the bottom of the page on
> "String number indications" in the manual, you will find out that
> "StringNumber objects are created by: New_fingering_engraver"
> and if you keep clicking to find out in which context this engraver
> lives by default, you'll find out that it's in the Voice context.
> I think that's all information you need.
>
> Don't ask me what the String_number_engraver does, though.
>
>   /Mats
>
> Quoting "Rick Hansen (aka RickH)" <address@hidden>:
>

>> Notice in the following example (which will run as-is) that I am
>> explicitely
>> removing the string number engraver.  Yet, alas, the string numbers
>> remain
>> on the staff portion.
>>
>> How can I globally remove the string numbers from the standard notation
>> staff, and still reuse the same music on the Fretboards staff?  (without
>> having to modify the music itself).
>>
>> I thought removing the string number engraver should do it.  Is there
>> maybe
>> a transparent property for string numbers?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Rick

>> \version "2.11.1"
>> \include "english.ly"
>>
>> varFretBoardsCheatSheet = {
>>   s4
>>   \transpose c ef \relative { <e\5 a d g c> }
>>   \transpose c c \relative { <c\5 g' b e> }
>> }
>>
>> \header {
>>      tagline = " "
>> }
>>
>> \score {
>>
>>   <<
>>
>>   \new Staff \with {
>>        \override Stem #'transparent = ##t
>>   }
>>   {
>>        #(set-accidental-style 'forget)
>>        \key c \major
>>        \varFretBoardsCheatSheet
>>   }
>>
>>   \new FretBoards { \transpose c c, {
>>        \varFretBoardsCheatSheet
>>        }
>>   }
>>
>>   >>  % end music expression
>>
>>   \layout {
>>         ragged-right = ##t
>>         ragged-last = ##t
>>         ragged-bottom = ##t
>>         ragged-last-bottom = ##t
>>         indent = 0.0\in
>>         \context { \Score
>>            \remove Bar_number_engraver
>>         }
>>         \context { \Staff
>>            \remove Clef_engraver
>>            \remove Time_signature_engraver
>>            \remove String_number_engraver
>>         }
>>         \context { \FretBoards
>>            \override FretBoard #'number-type = #'arabic
>>         }
>>   } % end layout
>>
>> } % end score
>>
>> \paper {
>> }

>> --

Thanks Mats,

Adding this to the \layout block removes the string numbers:

         \context { \Voice
            \remove New_fingering_engraver
         }

"String_number_engraver" is apparently part of TabStaff.

Apparently it was easy for someone to keep string numbers, fretting hand,
and stroke hand numbers all in the same engraver called
"New_fingering_engraver".  But globally removing string numbers also
clobbers the finger numbers.  That's ok for my case but maybe in the future
3 different tranparent properties could be added to the
New_fingering_engraver to let you turn on/off fret hand, stroke hand, and
string numbers independently.

thanks again