Re: Wikis [was: Re: Tutorial]

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Wikis [was: Re: Tutorial]
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 13:55:37 -0800

John Mandereau wrote:

Graham has a plan to centralize snippets (I mean you could find almost
all code snippets in one place), but I don't know the current state of
this.

Exactly the same as it was last August.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2006-08/msg00146.html

That said, I'm glad it already exists (means the idea was'nt _that_
bad), though it is unfortunately a bit hard to find. I can't
understand why it hasn't been a success. But maybe it would be worth
trying to to put the footer links again. Can this be done easily, or
does it means spending hours page-per-page ?

Putting the footer links again only require one-line fix in a build
script and a small setup in a wiki. If the developers agree,

I don't.  I'll play the evil totalitarian guy here.

Writing good documentation is hard. I know that better than most: I've spent almost 1000 hours working on the current docs. "Wiki" isn't a magic wand that you can wave and get good docs. Documentation requires time and effort.

I have a challenge: before complaining about my anti-wiki position, spend five hours writing docs for the official docs. It doesn't have to be all at once; spend half an hour one day, maybe an hour on the next, etc. Send your doc changes to me according to this page:
http://lilypond.org/web/devel/participating/documentation-adding

If you want ideas on what to work on, I'm more than happy to discuss it with you. (but the time spent on that discussion doesn't count towards those five hours)

This doesn't need to be original work; if you find some info in an email from lilypond-user that should be in the docs, by all means submit that.

- Graham Percival