Re: lilypond-and editors

From: Tim Reeves
Subject: Re: lilypond-and editors
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 09:32:17 -0800

For me, I couldn't really get started w/ Lilypond until I installed jEdit and LilyPondTool.
I'm running Win XP and I already had cygwin and JRE installed. jEdit is a bit slow to load and I haven't tried other editors to compare, but I like LilyPondTool and look forward to the Christmas present Bert says he has for us. I did have a little trouble installing LilyPondTool under jEdit, but it was worth it.
I'm not a programmer, so I have a hard time with the braces and keeping things in the right place to make my files work, but a little trial and error and and I can get results. Without LilyPondTool, I think I would have given up.

Tim Reeves

Geoff Horton wrote:

On Windows XP I gave jEdit a try, then I switched to Context.  The main
issues I had with jEdit on Windows is that it would not install unless I
went to IBM or SUN microsystems web site to install some other stuff first
as I recall.  Then forums suggested I needed something called cygwin, big
mistake there, after I installed that my machine was never the same, more
sluggish.  After I got jEdit finally working it kept locking up whenever I
tried to open too many files simultaneously.  Also if I opened a text file
that was over say 2 meg or so, it would try to parse ending brackets for the
WHOLE file, instead of just showing me the page I was on, and it typically
took about 5 minutes to open these large files and 15 seconds for the
PageUp/Down keys to work.  With Context I've had several dozen files open
simultaneously in its tabbed folders and my large files also open
immediately.  But I'm not sure of the future of Context either because it's
author only makes updates once a year or so, but for now I'm productive with
it.

jEdit had a lot going for it functionality-wise, but it needs some work
performance-wise and installation-wise for Windows machines from my
experiences, maybe others like it on Windows but for me it did not work out.
I think it sould be changed to install all of it's own dependencies itself,
so at least users can begin using it immediately.