Kate instructions [in the thread "lilypond and editors"]

From: Andreas von Heydwolff
Subject: Kate instructions [in the thread "lilypond and editors"]
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 14:17:44 +0100

confrey wrote:

[...]
tahnks, but I don't understand what you mean; what have I to install? kate only? Please be patient, I wait your reply, thanks

confrey

Here are the directions for installing the Linux/KDE Kate plugins (the Lilypond plugin is included in a tarball that contains a whole lot more syntax highlighting plugins). It is assumed that you have already installed kate, kate-plugins (as they are called in the Debian distro) and perl, these will most probably be included in your distro. I am using Kate 2.5.5 using KDE 3.5.5 and perl 5.8.8.

If you do not run KDE and no other KDE programs yet, kate will need some basic kde libs and pull them with itself when using a packet manager, but you don't have to install the whole of KDE and can use any other window manager as well. So, here goes:

1) Download the archive to some directory (e.g., /usr/local/src), it seems you don't even have to throw the archive into the Kate plugin directory (/usr/share/apps/kate/plugins/ on my machine), any dir should do:

# cd /usr/local/src

# wget http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/
H/HA/HANJE/Syntax-Highlight-Engine-Kate-0.02.tar.gz
(paste the two lines into one)

(archive available through http://search.cpan.org/~HANJE/Syntax-Highlight-Engine
-Kate-0.02/lib/Syntax/Highlight/Engine/Kate/LilyPond.pm

2) # tar -xvzf Syntax-Highlight-Engine-Kate-0.02.tar.gz

3) # cd Syntax-Highlight-Engine-Kate-0.02

3a) perhaps # less README

4) or immediately do

# perl Makefile.PL
# make
# make install

5) open kate # kate

6) got to Settings - Configure Kate - Editor - Highlighting and

7) update some plugins by clicking Download and let the editor download updated plugins (lilypond is current at this time)

8) under Settings - Configure Kate - Editor - Open/Save you can select the font encoding, e.g. unicode utf8 if necessary

8a) Open # kcharselect if special characters are needed

9) under Settings - Configure Kate - Applications - Plugins you may want to activate the tab plugin and the snippet plugin (tab for snippet window appears on the left side of the Kate window; can also be activated by clicking Window - Tool Views - Show/Hide Snippets

10) Open or create a *.ly file.

11) Click the Snippets tab on the left side of Kate: Now you can create code snippets in the snippet window

12) In the Settings you can even define a script that could do whatever you want to your file, or under "View" you can switch on a command line, or, what I usually do, you can use the tab "Terminal" at the bottom edge of the Kate window: There you can use a resizeable terminal window that opens in the pwd, e.g. for running
# lilypond filename.ly && xpdf filename.pdf

"Enjoy"

(I guess I should put this on a web page - or are the instructions something for a lilypond.org sub-page?)

Andreas v.H.