Alternating stem directions on a beam + note spacing

From: Michael Krause
Subject: Alternating stem directions on a beam + note spacing
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 16:16:38 +0100

Hi there,

I've been playing around with staff switching in the PianoStaff context
recently and encountered a case of sub-optimal note spacing which I do
not know how to correct (I'm using 2.10.0).

Is there any possibility of pulling the f16 further towards the previous
note in the lowest stave in the following example? I find it's really
too close to the following note.

--- SNIP ---

\version "2.10.0"

upper = {
        \clef treble
        \key f \minor
        \time 6/8
        \skip 2. * 3
}

blah = {
        \change Staff = lower \stemUp   \relative c { des16 }
        \change Staff = upper \stemDown \relative c'' { g }
}

lower = {
        \clef bass
        \key f \minor
        \time 6/8

        \blah\blah\blah \blah\blah\blah
        \blah\blah\blah \blah\blah\blah
        \blah\blah\blah \blah\blah\blah
}

pedal = {
        \clef bass
        \key f \minor
        \time 6/8

        \relative c, { f8 f f f'8. f16 f8 }
        \relative c, { f8 f f f'8. f16 f8 }
        \relative c, { f8 f f f'8. f16 f8 }
}

\score {
        <<
                \new PianoStaff <<
                        \context Staff = upper \upper
                        \context Staff = lower \lower

                \new Staff = pedal \pedal

}

--- SNIP ---

Other than that, I'm having lots of fun with the program. Excellent
quality of output!

Best regards,
Michael