markup height measured from staff?

From: Monk Panteleimon
Subject: markup height measured from staff?
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 13:23:44 -0500

Hello.

I would like to create a custom \markup command that puts a letter at a specified distance from the staff rather than from a note. It must be horizontally aligned with a note, but take its vertical position from the staff. I've looked through the \markup command overview and nothing seems to do that.
Any ideas?

Fr. P

--

        "There is no knowledge that is not impoverished,
         however great it may be; But heaven and earth