Re: Barlines between staffs

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Barlines between staffs
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:03:31 +0100

It's clearly not valid syntax. See section "Defining new contexts" for more
information on how to do it. However, a much easier method to get different
versions of the Lyrics context is to use the \with feature described in
"Modifying context plug-ins", i.e. something like

\score {
 <<
    \new StaffGroup {
     <<
       \new Staff { \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##t "music" }
       \context Lyrics = SopraanLyrics { s1 }
       \new Staff { \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##t "music" }
       \context Lyrics = AltLyrics { s1 }
       \new Staff { \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##t "music" }
       \context Lyrics = TenorLyrics { s1 }
       \new Staff { \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##t "music" }
       \context Lyrics = BasLyrics \with{\remove Bar_engraver } { s1 }

\layout {
 \context {
    \Lyrics {
      \consists "Bar_engraver"
      \override BarLine #'transparent = ##t
      \consists "Separating_line_group_engraver"

Just as Eduardo, I have not spent the time to fill in actual music and lyrics to be able to test the idea. However, I would expect that this solution does not exactly solve your problem, since the bass lyrics will not avoid the bar lines.
Note also that there was a typo in the \layout block of the original code.

   /Mats

Eduardo Vieira wrote:
Citando Maurits Lamers <address@hidden>:

I can't find in the list your first post. Did you try in the context Lyrics
revert those properties for the bass? Maybe in layout you could try this that I
never tested:
\context {
                \Lyrics = SopraanLyrics {
                        \consists "Bar_engraver"
                        \override "BarLine #'transparent = ##t
                        \consists "Separating_line_group_engraver"
                }
and so on and avoid applying that to the bass.
Warning: I don't know if its valid syntax.

Hi,

I sent a mail a week ago about the same problem, but did not get any
response (as far as I can see from the digests).
So, for a second try:

I want to typeset a renaissance choir piece and I would like to do it
with the barlines not on the staffs but between them.

The structure I chose is the following:

\score {
<<
        \new StaffGroup {
        <<
                \new Staff { \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##t
                        "music"
                }
                \context Lyrics = SopraanLyrics { s1 }
                \new Staff { \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##t
                        "music"
                }
                \context Lyrics = AltLyrics { s1 }
                \new Staff { \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##t
                        "music"
                }
                \context Lyrics = TenorLyrics { s1 }
                \new Staff { \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##t
                        "music"
                }
                \context Lyrics = BasLyrics { s1 }

This works beautiful, until I want the Lyrics to avoid the Barlines.
When I add the Barline_engraver to the Lyrics Context using:

\layout {
        \context {
                \Lyrics {
                        \consists "Bar_engraver"
                        \override "BarLine #'transparent = ##t
                        \consists "Separating_line_group_engraver"

as the example in the manual tells me, the lyrics do indeed avoid the
barlines, but also something else "strange" occurs. The barline is
drawn not only between the Staffs, but also between the lowest staff
and the lowest Lyrics line. I have included a small excerpt of the
score showing the problem as a jpeg file.

Have a good day!
Com o Click21 você tem sempre vantagens! Além do email com 1 Gb, Acelerador,
Blog,
Flog, Games e atendimento 24 horas, voce também pode falar minutos DDD com a
promoção Click 21 Minutos. Quanto mais você navega mais fala DDD.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology