Two lyrics questions

From: Vivian Barty-Taylor
Subject: Two lyrics questions
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:11:18 +0000 (GMT)

I'm having two (unrelated) problems adding lyrics at the moment, and wondered if someone could help.

1: I want to begin a word with a ( . I need to do this to indicate how a vowel is to be pronounced - e.g. (ch)il(d) . I've tried various things - using escape sequences as described in the manual, preceeding the bracket with a \ etc. but nothing gives me clean output (i.e. without other characters.) Is there a way of doing this?

2: Extenders. I'm not using /lyricsto or /addlyrics because the rhythms in my music are too complex. Instead I'm just entering all the lyrics with duration values and then printing them in a Lyrics context. How can I (or can I) add extenders manually? At the moment nothing I've tried has worked, and there is no mention of this in the manual or in the archives (as far as I can see.)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Vivian.