Re: Lyrics Questions

From: Monk Panteleimon
Subject: Re: Lyrics Questions
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:38:34 -0500

Vivian wrote:

> 2: Extenders. I'm not using /lyricsto or /addlyrics >because the rhythms in
> my music are too complex. >Instead I'm just entering all the lyrics with
> duration >values and then printing them in a Lyrics context. How >can I (or
> can I) add extenders manually? At the moment >nothing I've tried has worked,
> and there is no mention >of this in the manual or in the archives (as far as
> I >can see.)

I enter lyrics with duration values in a Lyrics context (without \lyricsto or
\addlyrics)  and the extenders still work fine. Have you tried just entering
the lyric extenders as you would with \lyricsto or \addlyrics?
Lilypond will pick a voice to associate the lyrics with, but you can associate
the lyrics with any  voice by doing \set associatedVoice = #"name-of-voice"
The extenders will conform to that voice (no \lyricsto or \addlyrics required).
You can switch the associatedVoice at any time, or if you want to arbitrarily
define the length of an extender, you can do
\once \override LyricExtender #'minimum-length = #8.
This last trick I find to be necessary when the voice that needs the extender
is *below* the Lyrics context.
In that case \set associatedVoice does nothing to the LyricExtenders. I'm not
sure why.

Here's an example:
%%% Begin Example
\version "2.10"

words = \lyricmode { la4 __ la \set associatedVoice = #"bass" la2 __
                        %But the extender won't be long enough unless you:
                        \once \override LyricExtender #'minimum-length = #33
                        la1 __  la8 la la }

\score { \context ChoirStaff <<
                \context Staff = top {
                        \context Voice = tenor \relative c' { \clef "G_8"
                        a8( b) a4  a2 a1 a8 a  a }
                        }
                \context Lyrics \words
                \context Staff = bottom {
                        \context Voice = "bass " \relative c { \clef "bass"
                         a4 a8( b) c8( d e d) f( e d c b a g a) e'8 e e }

%%% The end
%%% Богу Нашему Слава,
%%% и благословение его со всеми лилипондникими

Monk Panteleimon
Hermitage of the Holy Cross
Wayne, WV, USA
www.holycross-hermitage.com