Re: lilypond and editors

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: lilypond and editors
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:47:52 -0800 (PST)

Anthony W. Youngman wrote:

> In message <address@hidden>, "Rick Hansen (aka RickH)"
> <address@hidden> writes
>>I've never seen a Java application run fast on Windows, ever, in fact they
>>are so slow that they are unbearable to use.
>
> Is that Microsoft's JVM, or Sun's?
>
> And it wouldn't surprise me if there was code in Windows designed to
> sabotage the Sun JVM - they've done it so often to other stuff it would
> be unusual if they haven't done it to Sun's JVM too ...
>
> Cheers,
> Wol
> --
> Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden

Well when I tried to install jEdit, it informed me that I needed to go get
something from either the IBM or the SUN web sites.  At the time I just got
it from IBM.  But I had no other issues with jEdit other than performance,
especially with large files (over 2 MB).  For work, I sometimes have to look
at web logs, and those are about 100 MB long text files, I tried opening one
up with jEdit and it simply locked itself up, whereas in other editors I
could get to page 1 immediately in under a second.  I think jEdit was
actualy trying to read/parse the entire file, when my scrollbar was really
just on page 1, but thats just a programming problem with jEdit I guess
(that it should try to bring the whole 100MB file into memory at once).