Re: lilypond and editors

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: lilypond and editors
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:54:42 +0100

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 15:53, Bertalan Fodor wrote:
> Certainly not. Actually the java code is compiled to machine code at
> runtime. This is slower than precompiling, but the compiled code can run
> faster than its precompiled counterpart, because the runtime machine
> will have information about how often a certain part of the code is
> called, and those calls can be made inline. Running inline code is much
> faster than procedure calls.

OK. Did you actually do benchmarking or similar? IIRC, the Java parts of
openoffice are compiled to native code in Ubuntu's packages, for performance
reasons, so it's not obvious what's best. I guess that memory consumption and
startup time of most programs can decrease pretty much if they are compiled
to native code.

Also, IIRC there are options in gcc to optimise using profiling information; I
don't know about gcj though. And gcc -O2 makes fair guesses on what to inline
and not.

--
Erik