Re: SATB with automatic piano reduction - dynamics?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: SATB with automatic piano reduction - dynamics?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:23:48 +0100

The problem is that \partcombine creates its own voices.
A simple solution is to keep the engraver and just make sure that no
dynamics are printed:
\override DynamicText #'stencil = ##f
\override DynamicTextSpanner #'stencil = ##f
\override Hairpin #'stencil = ##f

However, do you really need \partcombine? Often you can get very far with

  \new PianoStaff <<
     \new Staff { \clef treble \Key \Time
<< \sopranoMusic \\ \altoMusic >> } % Staff
   >> % Piano Staff

or even
  \new PianoStaff <<
     \new Staff { \clef treble \Key \Time
\new Voice << \sopranoMusic \altoMusic >> } % Staff
   >> % Piano Staff

Then, you can easily remove the Dynamic engraver, for example in the first case you can do:

 \new PianoStaff <<
     \new Staff { \clef treble \Key \Time
<< \new Voice \with {\remove Dynamic_engraver } \sopranoMusic \\ \altoMusic >> } % Staff
   >> % Piano Staff

assuming that it's the dynamics of the \altoMusic that you want to keep.

  /Mats

Jonathan Henkelman wrote:
I am using the template provided in the manual. I have changed the formating of the ChoirStaff a bit, but otherwise it is unchanged. I have attached a reduced version of my current code in a followup post (!?) as it doesn't seem to matter where I put it in this one, I am accused of top-posting! [It seems fine to have a script to check for top-posting, but what if it's wrong?!)

My question is how to override the dynamics on the piano reduction. I would be happy with just -say- the soprano dynamics on the piano score. My inclination is to \remove the Dynamic_Engraver from the relevent voices, but I don't seem to understand the syntax for this. Something like the following with a similar snippet for the bass clef.

\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff { \clef treble
    \set Staff.printPartCombineTexts = ##f
    \partcombine { \context Voice \with { \remove Dynamic_engraver }
      { \Key \Time \sopranoMusic }
      { \Key \Time \altoMusic }

or...

\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff { \clef treble
    \set Staff.printPartCombineTexts = ##f
    \partcombine
      { \Key \Time \sopranoMusic }
{ { \context Voice \with{ \remove Dynamic_engraver } \Key \Time \altoMusic }

I suspect another solution would be to create another music stream with just the dynamics, and only add the soprano to the piano score. I am thinking that I will find it easier to add the dynamics inline with the music, but if this is the only solution...

Thanks much. If anyone has the time or inclination, I'm having a hard time figuring out from the manual just what context a \partcombine is. Hence, I am finding it difficult to refer to it's context for \override or \remove. Can it be made into a named context like Staffs and Voices? Also what type of arguments does it take - voices, or music streams, or something else?

Jonathan

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems