Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question

From: Jonathan Henkelman
Subject: Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:50:37 +0000 (UTC)

Erik Sandberg <mandolaerik <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I think these changes sound scary, it is an additional hack in the parser
> machinery. I think it would be cleaner if \times could be changed to a
proper
> music function, e.g. as
> \tuplet 2 3 {...}
> This would remove rules from the parser instead of adding them.
>
> (Hm, my suggestion is not really in line with this discussion; I can agree
> that \tuplet 2 3 would be easier to confuse with "3:2" than \tuplet 2/3 is).

I think Eriks point is actually well founded.  The discussion started with my
discussion of trying to trim down the grammer complexity. Adding syntax is not
really in that direction.

That being said, \tuplet 2 3 {...} is rather confusing.  I can live with
either : or / but my $0.02 would prefer one _or_ the other - in my case ':'.
I can see how people would want a choice though...  Sigh.  Once there, it is
hard to take functionality away.  Still, is there a way to make this change so
it fits within the current grammer, rather than expanding the grammer?

Incidentally what happens in Mats' example if the number of notes isn't a
correct multiple.  I assume tuplet would handle this the same way as times
currently does, but does this make sense in the \tuplet case?

Jonathan