Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:58:44 +0100

Please don't add redundant constructs, that will just cause the confusion.
If we introduce \tuplet, then we should definitely remove \times, just as
Graham said.

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Indeed, `\times 3' is problematic, but `\tuplet 3' sounds clear to me.
Additionally, I suggest that `\tuplet 3' prints the `3' above the
group, while `\tuplet 3:2' prints `3:2' (which some composers prefer).

This would break the separation between music semantics and typesetting layout.
We used to have such "features" in very early versions of LilyPond, where it
was possible to say both \time C  and \time 4/4, where both denoted common
time but one was typeset as C and the other as 4/4.
Please, please let's continue to use property settings to determine the printed layout and use the input syntax only for representing the musical meaning, otherwise
we will get a completely confusing syntax.

Regarding the very minor issue I brought up when using tupletSpannerDuration, it's just a matter of clarifying in the documentation that \tuplet actually can be
used also for multiple tuplets.

Graham Percival wrote:
... hmm, what about allowing
\tuplet 3:2 {c8 d e} \tuplet { f e d}
Again, I definitely vote against! We already now have too many
optional constructs in the syntax, which causes more confusion than
it helps.

I agree that the scores that take most time to type in are those that have
repeated rhythms like
\times 2/3 {c c c } c4 \times 2/3 {c c c } c4
or
c8 c16 c c4 c8 c16 c c4
especially if these are combined with slurs. It is certainly possible to implement your own music function that applies a specific rhyhtmic pattern to a set of pitches. However, this if fairly clumsy to do for the moment. I'm sure that some clever
Scheme hacker can come up with some solution like
mypattern = #(make-rhythmization #{ c8 c16 c16 c4 #})
so that
\mypattern {c d e f }
results in
c8 d16 e16 f4

Of course, it would be even better if the function also could produce the \pat function in input/test/music-box.ly, i.e. where some of the pitches are repeated
in the rhythmic pattern.

   /Mats