Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 13:49:13 +0100

On Thursday 21 December 2006 12:55, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Erik Sandberg escreveu:
> > BTW, in this case it may be good to register the fraction as its own
> > argument type, so \tuplets and \tuplet are generic music functions, both
> > with signature
> > (tuplet-fraction? music?)
>
> it would be cool if we could pull this off, that would make \time generic
> too.

Hm, if we do this together with the 2:3 syntax change, then we would suddenly
be able to write:
\time 4:3
which would be equivalent to:
\time 3/4
That's a bit confusing.

BTW, if we start adding new types, it would be nice to create a new 'type'
data structure, to be used in function signatures. The data structure would
contain a type-checking predicate, a name (displayed when type-check fails),
and perhaps a type ID for the lexer. This would allow more complex types,
e.g. 'sequential music', 'single note or chord', 'pair of numbers' (as in
#'(1 . 3)), etc; perhaps the system could be used for
define-context-properties.scm as well.

--
Erik