Getting involved

From: Till Rettig
Subject: Getting involved
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:05:26 +0200

Hi everybody,

a while ago I thought i might put my own bit into the lilypond work. So I checked the stuff on the development pages and ended up that a German translation for the web page and the documentation would be a nice thing. But first I thought of asking here if there is this kind of project already under progress (like the similar case recently with the French docu). I know that in the end i should move to the developer's list but for now it seems this list is bigger. Sure this would be quite a big project, so it would be interesting to hear if people like/need this and if there would be possible co-workers. First information about the process itself I got from the lilypondwiki, but it seems to be quite old information, and when I translated a page of the 2.11 docu according to this how-to and opened it in my browser, no pics where shown (wile being in their correct folders) -- is this then a problem that will only be fixed after the translation or is it the bug about the links that I encountered here?

Another point is the support for ancient notation, especially the mensural or renaissance engravers. I think there should still be some work done, and I would be happy if I could also help here -- though I don't know will I actually be able to write some code; so far I have no experiences in programming. For instance the spacing of this music should be done quite differently to modern music, especially the ligatures leave as much space as the according durations would take by themselves, and this is not the way this notations was written. Another point are the symbols themselves, which look quite decently, but have not the same perfectness as the default notation symbols. Also I think there should be support for "Black mensural notation", used until the 15th century in central Europe. I don't have much knowledge about font design at the moment, but would be glad if someone could point out where I could find some basics so I could start some drawing if this feature is welcomed.

Greetings from Finland
Till