Re: Getting involved

From: Robert Memering
Subject: Re: Getting involved
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 17:16:11 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 21. Dezember 2006 14:05 schrieb Till Rettig:
> Another point is the support for ancient notation, especially the
> mensural or renaissance engravers. I think there should still be some
> work done, and I would be happy if I could also help here -- though I
> don't know will I actually be able to write some code; so far I have no
> experiences in programming. For instance the spacing of this music
> should be done quite differently to modern music, especially the
> ligatures leave as much space as the according durations would take by
> themselves, and this is not the way this notations was written. Another
> point are the symbols themselves, which look quite decently, but have
> not the same perfectness as the default notation symbols. Also I think
> there should be support for "Black mensural notation", used until the
> 15th century in central Europe. I don't have much knowledge about font
> design at the moment, but would be glad if someone could point out where
> I could find some basics so I could start some drawing if this feature
> is welcomed.

Hi Till,

I would be very glad to see improved support for mensural notation
in lilypond. I won't have the time to actually contribute
code or graphics, but as a musicologist with special interest in
14-16th-century notation I could help with advice or
comments if needed.

Robert

--
Robert Memering
Arbeitsbereich Linguistik, Universität Münster