Re: Chord library

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Chord library
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:05:20 -0800 (PST)

seb-g wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am working on a guitar chord library for lily [1] based on the
> \fret-diagram command.
>
> The generator is written in python.
>
> The chord configuration file is quite simple:
>
> --
> Sebastien Gross

Yes, as Mats said please check out the FretBoards context, I sponsored it!

It will allow you to transpose fret diagrams and enter fret diagrams using
standard lilypond notes, it will auto detect the strings for minimal hand
stretch and position shifts, etc.  recognizes all the base class properties
for staff alignment, duration, etc.

Building a chord library upon the foundation of the FretBoards context
should be a snap because most of the work is done for you already.  I'm
still trying different approaches to my own chord library, right now I'm
leaning toward using \tag where some note clusters give the chord name and
others in each collection give the various fret fingerings, then I just
extract the notes I want into the music using \keepWithTag either in
FretBoards or ChordNames context.  My library only needs all the chords
stated in the key of C then I use \transpose in the piece proper to move the
library chords up/down the neck to different root notes.

Han-Wen did a great job on FretBoards, check it out.

Rick