Re: Chord library

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Chord library
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 14:59:55 -0800 (PST)

seb-g wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 09:05:20AM -0800, address@hidden
> wrote:
>> Yes, as Mats said please check out the FretBoards context, I sponsored
>> it!
>>
>> It will allow you to transpose fret diagrams and enter fret diagrams
>> using
>> standard lilypond notes, it will auto detect the strings for minimal hand
>> stretch and position shifts, etc.  recognizes all the base class
>> properties
>> for staff alignment, duration, etc.
>>
>> Building a chord library upon the foundation of the FretBoards context
>> should be a snap because most of the work is done for you already.  I'm
>> still trying different approaches to my own chord library, right now I'm
>> leaning toward using \tag where some note clusters give the chord name
>> and
>> others in each collection give the various fret fingerings, then I just
>> extract the notes I want into the music using \keepWithTag either in
>> FretBoards or ChordNames context.  My library only needs all the chords
>> stated in the key of C then I use \transpose in the piece proper to move
>> the
>> library chords up/down the neck to different root notes.
>
> Yes I saw it but I didn't find so much doc on it (maybe my fault ;-/ ).
> Nevermind, I would be glad to use the FretBoards context to build a
> chord lib.
>
> Please note I originaly started to write thios lib to save (?!?!?) time
> when facing similar chords.
>
> I will have a closer look on it.
>
> On an other hand, I am still facing to a human readable naming
> convention as long as names only accept letters.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Sebastien Gross

See my second post for how to use numbers in the chord names of the library.
I would like to not use the \tag solution, but I have to first learn how to
write a define-music-function then the whole library would be in a function
with a giant stream of "if statements" to generate the desired library entry
based on a string name in the parameter, along with root and duration.  I'm
not much of a programmer so I am at a great disadvantage with
define-music-function usage.