Re: Chord library

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Chord library
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 22:48:34 -0800 (PST)

For ChordNames, to eliminate all the "add" whatevers, I use an exceptions
list which is documented, or search the archive for "jazzychord".  I've had
my exceptions list for some time now and just use it routinely, there are
also cases where I'll call a chord a 6th vs a 13th, a sus4th an 11th, a sus2
a 9th, etc and my exceptions list can override what LP comes up with for a
given note stack, depending on the context of the music.

If a specific string is named then FretBoards context should select the note
on that string, otherwise it only expects the bass string to be named and it
will determine the fretting dots for the other notes using minimal, (humanly
do-able), hand stretch on the upper strings.  I have not to date found a
chord that I could not make come out properly.

As for finger numbers and barres... I generally dont bother depicting the
barre because given enough dots it's easy to figure that out, I'm not sure
that barres even work on FretBoards context.  Your D chord example would
just show all dots on what were the open strings of the C chord and yes you
would have to redefine the finger numbers (if you are using finger numbers).
I generally dont bother with finger numbers or barre depictions on the
fretboards, just the dots.  Short of any change to LP I suppose the barred
versions (in a library) could just be defined separately with different
fingers than when the chord is moved out of open position.  But, since most
chords dont involve open strings, I would probably make the non-barred
chords the exceptions with a different name maybe "_o" for open position,
and all others the rule because they are moveable without refingering.

Maybe a future sponsor can request barre symbols be added to FretBoards,
that should be easy as the markup already supports it, it's just a matter of
the music (chord) expression passing it through where it is coded.

As for alternate fingerings, again I would have the presence of any OPEN
string in the chord trigger the use of the alternative finger numbers, as
opposed to looking for the presence of a barre which the user may not have
even coded.  (IOW the presence of an open string means that the guitar nut
has become the barre so use the alternate finger numbers)

Rick