Re: How to make a grace rest?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: How to make a grace rest?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:52:42 +0100

I have already told you that this is a dead end.

The "current duration" is handled when LilyPond reads
through the input file, character by character. For example
if you have
somemusic = {c1 }
firstdefinition = { a }
someothermusic = {c2 }
seconddefinition = { g }

then \firstdefinition will always expand to a1 and \seconddefinition
will always expand to g2, no matter what happens before they
are used.

  /Mats

Rick Hansen (aka RickH) wrote:

How can I code a grace note (actually that is really a grace rest) but also
make it completly invisible and take up no space, on a one-time/as-needed
basis?
I'd like to be able to change the "current duration" that lilypond has set
without actually having to introduce any music to the score that would be
seen, or get played in midi, or count against the measure beats.

Is there a grace rest?  And can I temporarily set it to transparent when I
need to?

thanks
Rick

        Mats Bengtsson