Re: Two-Pass Vertical Spacing

From: William Oram
Subject: Re: Two-Pass Vertical Spacing
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 13:14:06 -0600

On Dec 23, 2006, at 9.15 AM, address@hidden wrote:

Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 09:38:10 +0200
From: "Joe Neeman" <address@hidden>
To: "William Oram" <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

On 12/22/06, William Oram <address@hidden> wrote:

>I've been toying with two-pass vertical spacing. Pretty neat, and
>exactly what I need. A couple questions:

>1) Is it *supposed* to force each system onto a separate page? That
>seems to be what it's doing: splitting pages with multiple systems. I'd
>be OK with this, aside from the smaller systems filled with tons of
>white space. Unfortunately, after giving systems their own pages, a
>vertical respacing isn't performed on them. In short, only pages that
>could fit one system anyway are properly respaced.

>This is almost certainly because the height-estimation routines are
>overestimating the height of the systems prior to page breaking on the
>second pass. Can you try it (perhaps just the first couple of pages) with
>annotate-spacing = ##t to check? If the Y-extent-estimate interval is much
>larger than the Y-extent interval, this is the problem.

>Also, what version are you using?

Ah, that's the fact I always forget. Using 2.10.4 on OS X 10.4. Also
tried with similar results on 2.11.x.

Hard to tell if y-extent-estimate is overshooting. In many cases
properly respaced systems have the same margin of error as those that
aren't.

Judge for yourself. Two example pages with annotate-spacing added. The
first is not respaced as expected, the second is. Other pages not
included seem to vary wildly from these lengths.

http://www.foxchange.com/spamguy/extentestimate.pdf

will is the everyman
                       _   |  WILL ORAM
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )  |  spamguy (at) foxchange . com
 - against HTML email  X   |  wro1 (at) cwru . edu
             & vCards / \  |
                           |  AIM spamguy21
(ABOVE: Magnetic poetry #6)