Re: Hiding empty staves

From: Pierre Abbat
Subject: Re: Hiding empty staves
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 12:01:27 -0500

On Sunday 24 December 2006 08:01, Manuel wrote:
> Chapter One.
>

> Open a new LilyPond window and write this inside:
>

> { c'  d'  e'  f'  g'  a'  b'  c' ' }
>

> Save the file and then select "Typeset file" from the "Compile" menu.

What OS are you on? I open a Kwrite window and type "lilypond music.ly" in a
Konsole.

> You can, of course, change these and all other defaults, indeed you
> can engrave old plainchat, contemporary notation, orchestral scores,
> do MIDI files, and more. But all that lies further down the road. For
> the moment, we will teach you how to engrave a simple melody.

sp: "plainchant". Or do you mean "plainsong"?

> First, we'll give you a very useful tool to input your notes, called
> the "relative mode".
>
> In our example, we have written each note with an octave
> denomination: one apostrophe:
>
> '
>
> for the so-called "first octave", which is the octave inmediately
> above and including the central c,  and two apostrophes:

sp: "immediately". "inm-" is Spanish.
In English it's called "middle C".

> To make a note one octave lower as it would otherwise appear, add a
> coma:

sp: "comma". A coma is a form of unconsciousness.

> or other, no less impotant clefs, like:

sp: "important"

> \key (name of the tonica) \(major or minor)

sp: "tonic"

> Now for the rythmic values.

sp: "rhythmic"

I think it's a great introduction!