Re: Absolute Beginners

From: Geoff Horton
Subject: Re: Absolute Beginners
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 10:36:13 -0500

If you are using a Mac, be glad and open a new LilyPond window.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here, but "be glad and
open a new LilyPond window" is not a very idiomatic English
expression. Perhaps you meant, "please open a new LilyPond window"?

Then write this inside:

"type" instead of "write"?

The so-called "curly braces"
<snip>
are essential. You must always write your music inside such brackets.

It would be better to call them "brackets" or "braces" consistently,
rather than switching.

Then, LilyPond has certain pre-set values, called "defaults", which
will apply whenever you do not ask for something different.

Stylistically, I would drop the "Then," here.

You can, of course, change these and all other defaults, indeed you
can engrave old plainchant, contemporary notation, orchestral scores,
do MIDI files, and more.

This is a comma-spliced sentence--it contains two independent clauses
without a conjunction. Either insert a period/full stop after
"defaults" and capitalize "Indeed", or change the comma after
"defaults" to a semicolon: "defaults; indeed"

In our example, we have written each note with an octave
denomination: one apostrophe:

"Octave denomination" is clear only if one only knows what it means
already. Can you rewrite this paragraph?

You can analyze the exercise and see that a third has been preferred
to a sixth, a fourth to a fifth, etc.

This also is confusing. I know what you mean, but it doesn't come out
clearly. Perhaps pointing out a specific instance in the example where
the behavior is different with \relative than without it would be
better.

Don't worry just yet about the naturals. We'll come to it in a moment.

It is not clear from the context what "it" refers to in the second sentence.

You change the clef changing the denomination "treble" for

You're using "denomination" here (and elsewhere) in a way that is not
common in English.

You can amuse yourself writing all possible and also impossible
examples of simple melodies, and see what happens. Don't worry,
whatever you type, you can't break it...

What does "it" refer to?

Working fine? Then let's go for sharps and flats. Just name the notes:

In this section: If you're writing for native English speakers, I
would also teach the use of \include "english.ly" and use the English
notation for sharps and flats; I would venture to guess that most
amateur English-speaking musicians do not know what "is" and "es"
mean.

Geoff