Re: Absolute Beginners

From: Eyolf Ostrem
Subject: Re: Absolute Beginners
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 11:05:42 +0100

I finally sat down and read through the beginners' guide, and I like it! Good
work. Two minor comments:

On Tue 26 December 2006 01:57, Manuel wrote:
> You change the clef changing the term "treble" to
>

> alto
> tenor
> bass
etc.

Perhaps you should include "G_8" too - it's certainly the clef I use most
often (for guitar scores and tenor parts).

> Working fine? Then let's go for sharps and flats. Just add
>
> is
>
> to the name of a note to make it a sharp, like this:
>
> [snip]
>
> (Please note that this is not necessarily the way you are used to
> naming the notes, just a quick, logical and easy way to work with
> LilyPond.)

This makes it sound like the is/es system is something that was invented for
LP - you might want to indicate that it's the german(ic) way, perhaps also
that it can be changed.
If I knew nothing about the is/es system before, and read this paragraph, I
would think: 'so they invented a new system which nobody has heard about
before, and calls it logical?!? Give me a break - I'm not setting foot in
THAT program...!"
I'm exaggerating, of course... :-)

--
   It must be awful to be a girl. I'm sure it's frustrating knowing that men
are bigger, stronger and better at abstract thought than women.  Really, if