Re: Absolute Beginners

From: Geoff Horton
Subject: Re: Absolute Beginners
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 09:14:37 -0500

Geoff, I took away plainchant. Should I mention other things, like
proportional notation or whatever?

I don't know--I've never used proportional notation (at least not knowingly).

comes the c that is a fourth above the g instead of a fifth below, an
so forth.

"and so forth" (yet another one that spellcheck won't find)

You set the clef naming the one you want: in the preceeding example,
we wrote "alto" instead of "treble". Other clefs are called:

"by naming" instead of just "naming"

You can amuse yourself writing away melodies, trying things and see
how they look. Don't worry, if what you write is impossible and does
not compile, you will get an instructive error message in the little
"process log window" we mentioned at the beginning and no printout,
but you won't crash the program.

Actually, it is sometimes possible to crash the program, but that
indicates a bug in LilyPond; I believe the developers are committed to
making hard crashes extinct.