Re: osx intel broken?

From: Sean Reed
Subject: Re: osx intel broken?
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 16:13:29 +0000

after unpacking the archives, they appear to be PPC programs that
won't run on my new iMac. I know I've used this software on this

The frontend of the intel version claims to be ppc, but the actual
processing is done in native intel code.  It works fine here.

however, the macIntel 2.11.x versions will run a few times, but after
a certain number of measures it doesn't seem to complete the
compilation process. (i haven't found a pattern to it yet, the

the console stops producing any feedback suddenly and opens the .pdf
in Preview immediately after the "Preprocessing graphical objects..."
statement with no changes to the output. the "date modified" of

I run into this exact situation every so often. Almost every time
there winds up being something quite spectacularly off in my rhythmic
input.

I think you're hitting on crashes that are triggered due to your unorthodox rhythms. The process log window in the macos X version is not so sophisticated, so it doesn't properly print error messages for core dumps and similar.

Still, if you can manage to reproduce any of this, please send me an offending
input.

Well, I found the offending input, and it appears to be something completely different all together:

It appears to be unterminated slurs that are the offending input, but only as of lilypond 2.11.x, and only at bar lines.

Here's an example:

Using 2.11.5, lilypond stops at the "Preprocessing graphical objects..." and outputs no .ps/.pdf when compiling this expression:
{d'4 cis' d' cis'(}

However, THIS expression (slur beginning moved back one note) results in only a warning in the console about an unterminated slur, but the .ps/.pdf is created and displayed:
{d'4 cis' d'( cis'}

Using 2.10.5, both of these expressions are compiled to completion and the .pdf is opened. Both return the "unterminated slur" warning, but finish anyway. In the case where the slur is begun on the last note of the measure using 2.10.5, the slur is merely not drawn on the output.

This issue made itself evident to me because my scores are often hundreds of measures long, and when tweaking them I often comment out all but 5 or 10 bars at a time.

Hope this is of some significance for you.

-Sean
Sean Reed
Dublin
www.seanreed.ie