Re: Absolute Beginners

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Absolute Beginners
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 04:22:05 -0800

Manuel wrote:
Graham, I see that you are in charge of documentation. I suggest that the little "Absolute Beginners' " help we have been tossing around for the last couple of days be included in the documentation. What is your opinion?

The entire "absolute beginners" chapter is longer than other doc submissions we've had recently, and it's not clear to me how it would fit into the existing structure -- does it simply replace sections 2.1 and 2.2 (and 2.3?), or would any material from those sections need to be kept? Also, if it were to be included in the current tutorial, it would need to be split into smaller sections.

I see three options:
1. "beginners" expanded until it forms a complete independent tutorial; we then remove the old tutorial and replace it with the new one. 2. "beginners" is split into small sections so that we can easily see how it replaces or alters the current tutorial; we add new tutorial sections when each one is ready. 3. I take ideas from the "beginners" chapter and modify the existing tutorial accordingly.

The question of which option is best depends on what you want to do. #3 is the fastest way to include the ideas from "beginners" in the user manual.

If you're interested in doing more doc work (say, an hour or two a week; if you'd like to do more that's totally welcome!), then #2 would be a better way to go -- it would be a good introduction to the process of creating lilypond documentation.

I don't recommend #1; writing documentation takes a lot more time and effort than most people realize. You could easily spend 50 hours working on a complete new tutorial before it was ready to replace the old one.

#1 and #2 would require somebody (possibly you, possibly somebody else on this list) to create patches to the documentation source files. The documentation is written in a language called Texinfo.
http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/

For an example, go to the lilypond source code:
http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=tree

and select "Documentation", "user", and then examine "tutorial.itely".

Cheers,
- Graham