Chordal polyphony - suggestion

From: Tomas Valusek
Subject: Chordal polyphony - suggestion
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 23:01:44 +0100

Hello,

I'm a pianist, and in piano music, itš quite usual that polyphony is "occasional" - in many times, I need say that one note is hanging over several other notes in the same hand. What's the difference between my proposed "chordal polyphony" and the way polyphony is now implemented in LilyPond?

1. Notes occuring in both ends of the chordal polyphony block are treated as chord, so the tie can lead to any voice on the beginning and from any voice on ending of chordal polyphony block without explicit voice management.

2. If in the specific time point there are several notes of the same duration in different voices, they are treated as single chord with automatic stem direction handling.

3. Chordal polyphony voices differ from VoceXXX normal polyphony voices, placement and shifting of notes is dynamic.

Suppose the syntactic delimiter for chordal polyphony is <<< ... >>>, then it would be easy to write:

\relative cˇˇ {
 \time 3/4
 c8 a~
 <<<
   a4 \\
   f8 f

 f4
}

... and to get resutl similar to one shown in attachement (different notation software was used). I hate the balast I must write in LilyPond to get such a result.

I wish you happy new year.

Tomas Valusek

PNG image