Re: brackets vs braces (was Very Absolute Beginner. . .)

From: Tim Reeves
Subject: Re: brackets vs braces (was Very Absolute Beginner. . .)
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 17:16:35 -0800

>In over 40 years with computers I have never seen or heard that term.  I
>use the term I learned "angle brackets."  I don't recommend using
>"brokets" without defining it.

>Paul Scott

I've never seen the term "broket" either, though physicists and mathematicians use the term "bra-ket" in connection with quantum mechanics among other things. Maybe this is what was meant.
 Most musicians, naturally, will be unfamiliar with this terminology.

from wikipedia.org: Bra-ket notation is the standard notation for describing quantum states in the theory of quantum mechanics. It can also be used to denote abstract vectors and linear functionals in pure mathematics. It is so called because the inner product of two states is denoted by a bracket, <x|y> consisting of a left part <x|, called the bra, and a right part, |y>, called the ket. The notation was invented by Paul Dirac, and is also known as Dirac notation. It is also the notation of choice in quantum computing.

Tim Reeves
Chemical Engineer, Engineering Services Dept.
TOKYO OHKA KOGYO America, Inc.