Re: Absolute Beginners - Anacrusis

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Absolute Beginners - Anacrusis
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:23:40 -0700

Manuel wrote:
Paul, I have now changed this part. What do you think?
That all seems great! You might consider adding to the following the explanation about the reversal of the numbers from the way we normally think, e.g. 16*5 instead of 5*16 (or 5/16).
(insert graphic here)

There is no rhythmic value equivalent to that anacrusis, so we used a formula:

\partial x * y

where "x" stands for a rhythmic value - like "16" for a sixteenth note or "semiquaver" and "y" stands for the quantity of those, like "5" . The sign in between is an asterisk. Thus

\partial 16*5

will give you the preceding example's result. Change the values of this formula to suit your needs. Remember that it doesn't matter how the rhythmic value of the anacrusis is distributed among several notes:

\partial 2

is good for a half note, or two quarter notes, or two eighth notes and a quarter note, or any other combination of rhythmic values adding up to a half note.
Thanks for all your work on this!

Paul