Re: Absolute Beginners

From: Manuel
Subject: Re: Absolute Beginners
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 15:13:43 +0100

John, I very much welcome the chance of discussing some essential matters about teaching and learning, transmitting knowledge and abilities, and other matters. Allow me to go back in time.

According with modern anthropological theory, humans learn by imitating gestures. (See Clive Gamble, "The palaeolithical societies of Europe", sorry I can't say where in the book). Ancient man - not at all "primitive" - did not, when creating, abstractly conceive a stone tool and tried to adapt a raw stone to that idea, but acquired gestures from his equals and made them his own, to satisfy his needs.

So, giving information ist not a way to transmit knowledge and abilities, except if the recipient already knows what he's doing: an expert cook makes good use of a recipe book, a non-cook will probably bungle it.

Explaining things clearly and systematically is a part ot teaching, only a part, and it can be extremely difficult to anticipate the needs and wants of many possible learners, say, when writing a didactical book. All the more need to transmit knowledge and abilities by a "take-you-by-the-hand" method, even if it is virtually so.

"See this, I show you, do thus, note the ripples" - That's teaching! - but only good teaching if the teacher knows where he is taking you.

Now LilyPond is, of course, a work in progress. So is, obviously, its documentation. Both need time to evolve. I agree that the present situation is unclear, I don't understand which document to use or even where to find something I need. Perhaps one day the many different things can be mainly relegated to an archive, like older versions of the program, to be consulted by whoever wants to, but not generally offered to the beginner or the expert user.

A most frustating thing when trying to use the tutorial is that the proposed examples just too often don't compile as they supposedly should, as with the very first example.

Although I agree that having one didactical introduction and one reference work is a good idea, don't forget that even a reference work must be somewhat didactical, since even the expert is learning.

To split the chapter into several HTML sections is possible. Due to my lack of experience, I don't see why not use the .pdf format for downloading, or HTML format for the whole chapter in one page (indeed there is now the whole tutorial in a single HTML document). The splitting would nevertheless necessitate further elaboration. In any case, I believe in field-testing and in test-versions (called beta, I suppose). One possibility would be to offer the first and following chapters (I have started work on a second chapter now that the first has reached at least a first completion) perhaps creating a beginner's section in the documentation, maybe "LilyPond's Nursery Slopes".

To insert parts of the beginners guide into the present tutorial would cancel most of its didactical, "take-you-by-the-hand" structure, which should hang together to be clear and useful, instead of being cut and mixed with parts of another work, however good, written at another time and with other concepts in mind. But yes, one didactical help and a deeper going reference work should be enough in general terms. I can't really say, but as a general idea, could the present, official tutorial be merged with the present reference document? I say this because the tutorial is already a rather reference-oriented work. Indeed I thought that its last part was the reference document itself.

So yes, I would like to go on working on this. I would need some help though, when I cannot figure something for myself, like it happened with the Da Capo thing. Of course I'll look it up in the manual first.

Manuel