Re: sostenido/bemol

From: Manuel
Subject: Re: sostenido/bemol
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 18:13:28 +0100

Am 29/12/2006 um 17:53 schrieb Christopher A. LaFond:

Manuel wrote:
You are right, but

nota sostenida

doesn't sound correct, since it is equivocal.

However, it is being used everywhere, it seems, to mean "sharp" as its principle meaning. Shouldn't usage dictate "correctness" if it becomes fairly universal? The other use of the word -- "sustained" -- is much less common, even in musical parlance, and could be explained when necessary (

"la nota sostenida más larga"

I would use the masculine here. It could be the longest tenuto note.

Possibly, an enquiry at RAE's services will shed light upon this.

Manuel

, "una nota sostenida en el aire", "una nota sostenida de trompeta"). Again, a Google search reveals that the *vast* majority of the use of the expression "nota sostenida" means a "sharp" note.

If you do a Goolge search for "nota bemol", you will see that it is also used in common speech all the time.

Also, "cómo", as well as many other words, only bear a written accent when used in an interrogative (as a few others have pointed out).

No, not quite so. See the common expressions:

¡Cómo es posible!

Yes, I forgot the exclamatory statements. There are also one- syllable words where one form takes a written accent and one does not (e.g. tú vs. tu). My point was that in a comparison or simile, it does not bear a written accent.

No sé cómo hacer
This is an interrogative usage (even though it's not a direct question).

--
         °
Chris    °
 ><((((°>

Christopher A. LaFond address@hidden http:// www.celticharper.net

"So tell me, just how long have you had this feeling that no one is watching you?" (Christopher Locke: Entropy Gradient Reversals)